(+44) 01675 620 249


Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:30

Sat - Sun: CLOSED

The Party Wall Act

What is The Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.

In plain English; If you are intending to carry out building work that might effect a neighbour's property you must give the other owner(s) notice of your intentions.

The Department for Communities and Local Government produce a booklet which will help you understand how The Party Wall Act may effect you.

How can Allied Surveyors help?

Allied Surveyors are independent experts in the Party Wall Act and can help with all aspects including:

  • Understanding - Help you determine if the works you are planning on undertaking falls under The Party Wall Act.
  • Notification - Help you serve notice to all affected parties, providing all necessary information and a full description of what you propose to do.
  • Responding - Help you reply to a Party Wall Notification - Including serving counter-notice if required.
  • Agreed Surveyor - Act as a 3rd party impartial 'Agreed Surveyor' in the event that the parties cannot agree.

Where do Allied Surveyors carry out Party Wall Reports?

Allied Surveyors carry out Party Wall Reports nationwide.

Our office specialises in the greater West Midlands area including; Birmingham, Coventry, Staffordshire and Redditch. We also cover Shropshire, Central Wales and the Welsh Border.

What does The Party Wall Act cover?

  • Shared Walls - Any kind of work on existing shared walls or shared structures (Party Walls).
  • Building Boundaries  - Any kind of building on or at the boundary of 2 properties.
  • Excavations - Any form of excavation near to neighbouring buildings.
  • Rebuilding - Knocking down and rebuilding a shared wall or shared structures  (Party Walls).
  • Foundations - Digging below the foundation level of a neighbour’s property.

How much does it cost to get help with The Party Wall Act?

The cost of helping with The Party Wall Act depends on your needs as a property owner.

If you would like to find out how much help may cost you, why not contact us?

Contact Us